Saturday, May 22, 2010

Who has a wide range in male voice? Bass, Baritone Or Tenor?

I personally obtained an A above middle C in my vocal. Don't manage to reach the B or I will ultimately flip it to falsetto. But my vocal coach said that, I am able to sing high key comfortably.Well, I'm certainly not convinced that I had a high voice because there are some songs which seems hard for me to reach the high note. So disheartening. Haiz...I think it's maybe gotta do with my only 2 octaves in my vocal range. Any advices?

Who has a wide range in male voice? Bass, Baritone Or Tenor?
Neither. A wide range has NOTHING to do with one's vocal fach (meaning bass,baritone, tenor, etc). As I explained in another question similar to this one, a baritone and a tenor could have the same EXACT range. What truly determines one's vocal fach is the passagio, where the voice feels most comfortable, where the voice flips (for the baritone voice, the voice will flip lower than the tenor voice), and the quality of the voice. A baritone's high notes will probably have a darker sound than the tenor's voice. So just because you have good high notes does not make you a tenor. I can hit up to a high D on a good day just like a lyric soprano, but I am definitely a Mezzo-Soprano. The same goes in one's lower range.





If you want to work on your range or as some people have said...if you want to expand your range, vocalize, vocalize vocalize everyday. Make sure you learn how to properly vocalize with your coach, and have good diaphragmatic breathing techniques with it. Since you are doing this to see how many notes you have in you, I would do whole steps on EEE or AHH in the scale (meaning in theory terms 1,2,3,4,5 (hold) 4,3,2,1 in the scale). Also, try sliding your voice up between octaves, until you've reached the top of your range. You can use any vowel you want on this.





Do this everyday, and know your limits. If it hurts to reach the note, or if you feel as if you are straining to sing the note WITH proper support, it isn't in your range. Never push and force notes. With time and if it is meant to be, it will come. In the meantime, enjoy your 2 octaves. It isn't the octaves or range that makes you a good singer. It is what you do with what you have. Good luck to you and continue to sing with enjoyment!!!!
Reply:I personaly dislike the range of a bass singer because i dont like the songs that the range has to offer. Now a baritone can go low and high, however a tenor can go almost as low but alot higher. One thing to think about is the fact that a baritone voice has a rich sound to it, so if you perfect the higher part of your range as a baritone you could very well sound better than a tenor. You may not be able to sing as high, but you can certainly sing the songs with a rich tone. Try listening to Josh Groban. He is a baritone that can sing as high as a tenor, and his upper range still sounds rich and amazing. Since you can hit an A, try some of his songs(sing along) By the way I have the same range as you.


No comments:

Post a Comment