Monday, May 24, 2010

Am I on the brink of adulthood?

I was never the type of girl that acted her age. For someone's who's 21, I've accomplished alot compared to kids my age. I've managed to get my associate's degree, work.volunteer experience, and just got into my nursing major :) Getting into my major was something I KNEW i had to accomplish and nursing is something i've always been passionate about. I've sacrificed the heavy norm social life, limited myself w. pressures, have had my values challenged and gave up someone i love dearly. (thats another story).





I knew nursing school would be the hardest thing/work I'll ever do in my life. I'm aware of the increasing sacrifices I would have to make. Just as long as I have that one day to relax, I'm fine. It's not easy but I don't complain and i'm loving every minute of it no matter how hard it gets. I've been so emotionally drained lately and I don't know why. Many of my colleagues are 2nd career people who have experienced life, whereas I'm a enthusiastic puppy ready to conquer and provide care for patients. Compared to them, I haven't experienced life yet. My colleague told me the reason why I've been feeling this way is b/c I'm CHANGING and starting to experience life in my own way and becoming to be an adult. I'm constantly asking myself question of why/how i get here. I look at my friends and think i'm weird b/c iI have different priorities. My definition of happiness is spending good quality time w. family and CLOSE friends, not clubbing/drinking. My definition of love is someone who unconditionally loves/supports you and I would be willing to wait for something true than date a guy who is sweet to me. I'm disappointed at my friend (who's also made it in) b/c i FEEL that she doesn't understand the importance of this. She's like those typical 21 yr olds that STILL think they can balance nursing AND a social life. When you're an adult and given an opportunity like this, you don't take it for granted. I'm in a class of people who don't care if they have a social life, they're happy that they're in and i feel the same way. Unlike, "aww i don't go out anymore and have fun booo hooo" - suck it up, you're an adult and thats what life is. You made a choice when you decided you want to be a nurse.





WHY AM I FEELING THIS WAY? Help...i'm a confused 21 yr old kid.

Am I on the brink of adulthood?
Maybe cause somewhere deep down, you wish you would've had a little more fun. You need to stop taking life so seriously, and live for the moment a little more. Not everyone or everything (including you) have a garanteed future (or will live 90 years). Things can happen at anytime therefore we need to relax a little more and have some fun. You CAN balance work and a social life. It isn't all that hard to do.
Reply:I think you are OK. Concentrate on completing your studies, since you will be rewarded at the end with a diploma and a career that will mean much to many people for whom you will give care. There is plenty of time for all that other stuff later. You still have your whole life ahead of you and you don't need to rush into stuff. I know because part of my Army career I served in a MASH unit. You will never know what it means to someone to have a nurse's helping hand there until you are there in the time of need. If you party and blow your mind drinking, etc., you could jeopardize your future. If others follow that route and can still make it all the more power to them. However, I found that partying, drinking, etc. never did anything good and wasn't worth all the trouble it causes. I don't smoke, drink, cuss and I don't associate with those who do. I have been married for over 29 years and have never regretted that I didn't party around. Do yourself a favor and don't worry about your social life. Take care of business in your studies and they will take care of you. If you want to meet guys who aren't of the party type, then I suggest that you find an evangelical Bible believing church to attend and join the singles group there. You will find that most will be operating (No pun intended.) under the principles of 1 Corinthians 13 "The Love Chapter" of the Bible. The fellowship and fun activities that they have will do you good and you just might find the guy of your dreams. As an example, I met my wife in church and we have never regretted being virgins on our wedding night all these years later. It can happen for you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment