Monday, May 24, 2010

Can somebody help me with a calorimetry lab due tomorrow?

Basically I had to take the temperature of a hot piece of metal, 100mL of tap water, place the hot piece of metal in the water (which was placed in a calorimeter), and then take the temperature of the metal, after it had cooled in the tap water.





This is my data:





Temp. of tap water: 22.8* C


Temp. of hot metal: 80.9 *C


Temp of water, after the metal has been placed in it: 27.0 *C


Mass of metal: 100.52g


Heat capacity of water: 4.184 J/g x*C





So I need the quantity of heat transferred from the metal to the water, and I need the heat capacity of the metal. The equation is Q=mc(deltaT) Q is the quantity, m is the mass, c is the heat capacity, and delta T is the second temp. minus the first temp.





I managed to get the quantity of heat from metal to water, which was 1757.28J, by multiplying out the measurements I got.





But I can't get the heat capacity of the metal. I'm not sure which numbers to use to calculate it. Can somebody help?

Can somebody help me with a calorimetry lab due tomorrow?
For the first calculation you need to ignor the mass and temperature of the metal (100ml of water = 100g), and just concentrate on the water, assuming this is what you did you worked out the energy absorbed by the water. This number will be the same as the amount of energy given out by the metal, so you just need to rearrange your formula so:


c=mQ(deltaT)


Where, c is the heat capacity of the metal, m is the mass of the metal, Q is the energy change (the number you worked out before) and delta T is the change in temp of the metal (not the water)


That should give you the answer you need.


As you don't have a value for the second temp of the metal then I guess it would be the same as the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment