Saturday, May 22, 2010

Confusion with math classes: Precalc vs. AP Calc BC?

I'm going to be a Junior in High School and I was wondering what I should do for my math class next year. As of now, I managed to get a B 1st semester in pre calc and from the looks of it, I'm going to manage to scrape a B once again 2nd semester. I struggle through this class, and it partly is because of the teacher's teaching methods because it's not just me that gets C's and D's on the tests (a plethora of sophomores like me get bad grades). And of course, people fail the cumulatives too cause that's just how our school is with cumulatives.





I was just wondering whether or not I should take AP Calc BC next year because I've been getting mixed responses ..


Most people I ask have been telling me that precalc is the hardest math class in high school and that I'll be fine in Calc BC - they say this because precalc is a bunch of concepts smashed into a year that don't always connect while in Calc BC all the concepts you learn have to do with each other.

Confusion with math classes: Precalc vs. AP Calc BC?
Calculus BC is definitely more difficult, expecially in terms of intensity, than precalc. Virtually all colleges and universities are willing to give credit to anyone who scratched a 5 on this exam since it's universally recognized as one of the three hardest AP's (the other two are language AP's and chemistry). Even the Ivy Leagues would let you place out of a math course (althought credit is usually not given, again depending on the school). You should still consult with your conselor.





And concerning your last comment about all the concepts having to do with each other in BC, yes, its true. But still, it's my first math class where i actually had to sit down and study.





Btw, i took the BC test today and it was hard. Even my friend, who scored 800's on the SAT I and SAT II Math IC %26amp; IIC's admitted the test was "unusually difficult".


No comments:

Post a Comment