Monday, May 24, 2010

Am I on the brink of adulthood?

I was never the type of girl that acted her age. For someone's who's 21, I've accomplished alot compared to kids my age. I've managed to get my associate's degree, work.volunteer experience, and just got into my nursing major :) Getting into my major was something I KNEW i had to accomplish and nursing is something i've always been passionate about. I've sacrificed the heavy norm social life, limited myself w. pressures, have had my values challenged and gave up someone i love dearly. (thats another story).





I knew nursing school would be the hardest thing/work I'll ever do in my life. I'm aware of the increasing sacrifices I would have to make. Just as long as I have that one day to relax, I'm fine. It's not easy but I don't complain and i'm loving every minute of it no matter how hard it gets. I've been so emotionally drained lately and I don't know why. Many of my colleagues are 2nd career people who have experienced life, whereas I'm a enthusiastic puppy ready to conquer and provide care for patients. Compared to them, I haven't experienced life yet. My colleague told me the reason why I've been feeling this way is b/c I'm CHANGING and starting to experience life in my own way and becoming to be an adult. I'm constantly asking myself question of why/how i get here. I look at my friends and think i'm weird b/c iI have different priorities. My definition of happiness is spending good quality time w. family and CLOSE friends, not clubbing/drinking. My definition of love is someone who unconditionally loves/supports you and I would be willing to wait for something true than date a guy who is sweet to me. I'm disappointed at my friend (who's also made it in) b/c i FEEL that she doesn't understand the importance of this. She's like those typical 21 yr olds that STILL think they can balance nursing AND a social life. When you're an adult and given an opportunity like this, you don't take it for granted. I'm in a class of people who don't care if they have a social life, they're happy that they're in and i feel the same way. Unlike, "aww i don't go out anymore and have fun booo hooo" - suck it up, you're an adult and thats what life is. You made a choice when you decided you want to be a nurse.





WHY AM I FEELING THIS WAY? Help...i'm a confused 21 yr old kid.

Am I on the brink of adulthood?
sounds like you have your priorities straigt and your life in line. which is great! not many ppl your age can do that, but its great that you can! As for your friend....well, she will have to decide which is more important to her....she can't party all night and be ready to work the next day. Just do your job don't worry about her......time will show who will sink and who will swim.
Reply:um, ok, if you are happy with where you are now what's the problem? You don't have to be "like others". Happiness may not mean the same thing to one person compared to another. I mean, I understand other kids your age will be all annoying asking you to do things u don't want to. Just say no then. They are just people who have different views than yours, no need to complain why they do this or that. I know young doctors who are still able to balance a social life...I don't know how they do it but once, a doctor told me, every 5 free minutes he gets, he will make sure he uses it as a break, get a drink or something (not at work of course). My best friend is taking higher studies in pharmacy...I believe she has a double degree, and used to date guys. People have different ways of handling "life" at the moment. You have your way, others have theirs. Don't be confused. You have a bright future, you aren't doing anything wrong, cos you're doing what u want. Keep it up!

floral arrangements

No comments:

Post a Comment